Saturday, July 25, 2009

New Kindling For The Fires of Healthcare

I love my Kindle. It has changed how I read -- in fact, I read faster, in more places, with a greater diversity of topics.

The ability to download and carry a small New York Public library of books is amazing.

On Metro-North I read
War and Peace (the new translation) one-handed while standing (try that, even in paperback). At the car repair shop, while getting my Subaru tuned, I was able to fine tune my thoughts about Andrew Jackson's presidency. And, sitting by the pool, I basked in the sun while exploring Bleak House.

The device is far more friendly to read from than my net book. And, though the internet browser is not very robust, the 3G reception is excellent.

Now what if everyone had such a device. How much easier would it be to carry around your health records, research different health states, even reach out and touch a medical professional?

Maybe webmd or Pfizer or Aetna could offer a free Kindle to everyone to help manage and answer their healthcare issues.

Okay, I confess, I was also reading Chris Anderson's
Free, which I downloaded free on my Kindle.

Wouldn't a Kindle be a great freemium for healh care.

I need to ask my doctor about this.

As the cost of health care continues to rise and the government and private enterprise seeks to manage it, let's let the information and the patient devices be fee and allow the procedures and the drugs to cost what they need to cost. The more you know, I bet the more judicious the use will be.

Now that's some kindling to light the fire of healthcare.

No comments: