Sunday, January 07, 2007

Match Points: A Real Work/Life Balance

Many of colleagues from Pfizer are currently looking for new positions due to J&J's recent acquisition of Pfizer Consumer Healthcare. While I will reserve comments about the sale and the value of acquiring brand assets and getting healthy ROIs through synergistic cost cuts, I do want to put one note out there about the recruiting and searching process.

I was re-reading George Bradt's The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan, and I was struck by his opening comments about looking for a job. I want to replay them for my friends who I know are reading this blog.

Bradt writes that there are only three real interview questions:
  1. Can you do the job?
  2. Will you love the job?
  3. Can I stand working for you?
Or, alternatively,
  1. Strengths
  2. Motivation
  3. Fit
That's what it comes down to. My Pfizer friends are looking for new jobs in marketing and sales, but they are also looking at consulting, teaching, social work and nursing. Go for it. As I wrote in my last post, don't enervate. Leap.

For recruiters, their clients deserve the best they can hire. For my friends, they deserve to be the best they can be: using their skills, waking every morning loving what they do and enjoying who they are working with.

In a way, it can be a lot simpler than life or work ever is.

And yes, this may be another way we talk about work/life balance.

Enough for now. The next post is back to Marketing and Management.

No comments: