Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Hot Tip: Clean Your iPod with Dove Soap

My Body = My Software

Here is how I think about these products.

I go to Planet Fitness. I climb on the elliptical trainer, preparing for a journey of miles while staying in the spot. I put my white earphones on. Then I'm off on Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Somewhere past U2's Where The Streets Have No Name and Soul Asylum's Runaway Train, I look around and I see that the vast majority of my sweating, straining, traveling compatriots are wearing the same white earphones.

But they are listening to the Beatles or Bach or Blige.

Each of us is doing the same thing on the exact same hardware but, for each of us, the music of our journey is unique to us because, for each of us, our tastes, our emotions, our desires and dreams fill our individual worlds.

From the Dove Soap web site: Dove believes that beauty comes in different shapes, sizes, and colors and that real beauty can be genuinely stunning.

The soap (great soap!) is the same for everyone. But what Dove realizes is that this mass market product cleans and moisturizes a world of individual beauties.

The hardware is the same. It is the application of that software that makes each consumer's use of and appreciation for that product special to them.

Are the products you use or make special to someone else? Are you capturing that specialness?

Excuse me, it's time to get back the trainer.

No comments: